Using VirtualPostMail as Your TEXAS Registered Agent
If you own or are forming a TEXAS corporation, limited liability company (LLC), or any state-level entity requiring a registered agent, then you can use VirtualPostMail (VPM) as your Registered Agent to receive and process legal mail for your business. This guide lists the steps to switch your registered agent on record over to us.
Registered Agent Service Is FREE for Your Company
Registered Agent Service is offered free of charge on eligible plans. Costs to scan or forward your mail are based on those pricing plans — no extra monthly or annual fees!
To use VPM as your registered agent:
- You must have a Texas VPM mailbox account in order to use us as your Texas Registered Agent. Sign up for a mailbox if you don't have a mailbox with us.
- Your account with us must be in good standing.
- The corporation, LLC, or LP is, or will be, registered with the State of Texas as either a domestic or foreign business entity.
- Domestic means that Texas is the state where your business was initially chartered.
- Foreign means that your existing business is registered to do business in a state or jurisdiction other than where it was originally incorporated.
- You must add the business as a recipient to your mailbox account. The business name must match the one that is registered with the state.
- Notify us via email that you're utilizing us as your registered agent once you update or file your formation documents.
Updating Your Registered Agent to VPM for Your Existing Entity
Online Filing - Simplest and Fastest method!
If you have an existing company with another registered agent, please follow the steps below:
- Contact us via email to let us know that you would like to change your registered agent to us. Include your company's name, business structure, and mailbox number. We will respond with the information you need.
- Visit the Secretary of State's website to begin the process:
- The filing fee is $15. For non-profit corporations, the filing fee is only $5.
- Once you have created an account and logged in, you can click on "Business Organizations" in the navigation bar.
- Under the third option from the bottom where it says "Change Documents", enter your company's filing number and then click on "File Document".
- On the next screen, select "Change of Registered Office/Agent" option.
- Then, enter the Registered Agent information we provided you.
- Complete the remainder of the screen based on your own needs.
- The SoS will charge the payment card that was previously entered.
- Let us file for you -- Alternatively, you may request us to change the registered agent for you. We will take care of the process for a $50 service fee. Our fee and the filing fee will be deducted from your mailbox account's credit balance. When we receive the returned filed copy, we will notify you via email.
- If you are a non-profit corporation, you MUST let us know as the filing fee is only $5. We want to ensure that we charge you the correct amount.
Filing by Mail/Fax
- If you would like to change the registered agent by mailing or faxing the form, send us an email to notify us. Include your company's name, business structure, and mailbox number. We will respond with a link to an online electronic form that you can fill out.
- The form will have our sections completed.
- This email exchange (electronic communication) will act as an authorization notice that we consent to you using us as your registered agent for the listed companies in your email.
- Download the form and read the instructions.
- In short, you will need to submit the document through one of the following methods:
- By Mail: P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas 78711-3697
- By Fax: (512) 463-5709
- Deliver to the James Earl Rudder Office Building: 1019 Brazos, Austin, Texas 78701
Using VPM as Your Registered Agent for a NEW Entity
If you are forming a new company and using a formation service or lawyer to form your new business, you just need to provide them the registered agent information we provide you. They will take care of the rest.
After Switching Your Registered Agent Service to VPM
Once you have formally switched to us, everything works similarly to how we process your regular mail.
- When we receive formal legal mail, including any litigation notice, we scan it online for you to view and process.
- You can either ask us to forward the mail or open and scan it. For urgent matters, you may submit a special request to forward mail using Express Mail.
Keep Your Account in Good Standing
If your mailbox is suspended or canceled, we will no longer act as your registered agent. We will file with the state to resign ourselves as your agent. Note that if you do not have a designated registered agent, the State of Texas may suspend your company or revoke your status. So make sure to keep your VPM account in good standing.