Using VirtualPostMail as Your CALIFORNIA Registered Agent
If you own a California-based corporation, limited liability company (LLC), or limited partnership (LP), then you can use VPM as your Registered Agent to receive and process legal mail for your business. This guide lists the steps to change your existing agent service to us.
Registered Agent Service Is FREE for Your Company
Registered agent service comes with every mailbox and is totally free of charge. Costs to scan or forward your mail are based on your current pricing plan — no extra monthly or annual fees!
To use VPM as your registered agent:
- You must have a VirtualPostMail Mailbox account in good standing. Sign up for a mailbox if you don't have one with us.
- You must have a VPM mailbox address located in CA in order to use us as your California Registered Agent.
- The corporation, LLC, or LP must be registered with the State of California as either a domestic or foreign business entity. Domestic means that California is the state where your business was initially chartered. Foreign means that your existing business is registered to do business in a state or jurisdiction other than where it was originally incorporated.
- You must add the business as a recipient to your mailbox account. The business name must match the one that is registered with the state.
Appointing VPM as Your Registered Agent for an EXISTING Entity
- In order to successfully change your Registered Agent, you'll need to file a Statement of Information online. But, before you begin the process, you will want to email us to obtain the name to search and use. This will allow you to successfully file the statement of information.
- Once you have obtained our corporate name, you can begin this process by clicking on the "File a Statement of Information" button under the "Business Entities" section.
- Log in or create a new account.
- Enter your business name or file number in the search bar.
- On the right-hand panel, click on "File Statement of Information".
- Read and Agree to the provided Privacy Warning and the Terms and Conditions of Use. Click on "Next Step" after.
- Complete all of the sections with your contact and business information.
- Once you reach the "Registered Agent" section, select "California Registered Corporate Agent (1505)" as the Agent Type and check off the following box stating that you have notified us.
- Search our corporate name and select us as your agent. If you don't have this information, please contact us.
- Complete the rest of the sections as instructed until you are able to click the "File Online" button.
- File a new statement of information applicable to your business entity. You can find links to the forms at the end of this article.
- Under the section “Agent for Service of Process” on the form, fill in our corporate name as the “Name of Agent for Service of Process.” To obtain the registered agent name to use, please contact us.
- Leave the “Address for Agent for Service of Process” blank. This is only required for individual agents. (*Those using Legalzoom to register their company - you may encounter issues when leaving this section blank. If you are using a corporate formation service that requires you to provide an address, let us know when you reach out to us.
- Mail the form to the California Secretary of State.
- Send an email to let us know that you are using us as your registered agent, along with the company name. We will check and record this information. Make sure to perform this step. Otherwise, we will reject legal mail sent to a registered agent.
Appointing VPM as Your Registered Agent for a NEW Entity
The process may be slightly different depending on the business structure of the entity. These are general instructions.
- Reach out to us via email in order to obtain our registered agent information.
- In the "select agent type" section, choose "California Registered Corporate Agent (1505)"
- Select the box "I certify the selected California Registered Corporate Agent (1505) has agreed to serve as the Agent for Service of Process for this entity"
- Enter our corporate name.
- Click on the option that matches the information that was shared with you.
- Click on "Next Step", and voila! You're finished with the registered agent section.
After Switching Your Registered Agent Service to VPM
Once you have formally switched to us, everything works similarly to how we process your regular mail.
- When we receive formal legal mail, including any litigation notice, we scan it online for you to view and process.
- You can either ask us to forward the mail or open and scan it. For urgent matters, you may submit a special request to forward mail using Express Mail.
Keep Your Account in Good Standing
If your mailbox is suspended or canceled, we will no longer act as your registered agent. You must designate another company/individual to be your registered agent or your entity may get suspended. So make sure to keep your VPM account in good standing.
- California Forms, Samples, and Fees - Contains forms and fees to file your business or change business records.
- E-File Statement of Information online directly on the California Secretary of State website. No need to fill out forms in this case.
- Statement of Information for Stock Corporations, Agricultural Cooperative, and Foreign Corporations (Form SI-550) - Form used to update your Agent of Service, among other information.
- Statement of Information for Nonprofit Corporations (Form SI-100)
- Statement of Information for Domestic and Foreign LLCs (Form LLC-12)
- Amendment to Certificate of Limited Partnership for Domestic LPs (Form LP-2) - For making changes to existing LPs.
- Amendment to Application for Registration for Foreign LPs (Form LP-6) - For making changes to existing LPs.