Using VirtualPostMail as Your CALIFORNIA Registered Agent
If you own a California-based corporation, limited liability company (LLC), or limited partnership (LP), then you can use VPM as your Registered Agent to receive and process legal mail for your business. This guide lists the steps to change your existing agent service to us.
Registered Agent Service Is FREE for Your Company
Registered agent service comes with every mailbox and is totally free of charge. Costs to scan or forward your mail are based on your current pricing plan—no extra monthly or annual fees!
You must fulfill these requirements in order to use VPM as your registered agent:
- You must have a VirtualPostMail Mailbox account in good standing. Sign up for a mailbox if you don't have one at the Walnut, CA.
- You must have a VPM mailbox address located in CA in order to use us as your California Registered Agent.
- The corporation, LLC, or LP must be registered with the State of California as either a domestic or foreign business entity. Domestic means that California is the state where your business was initially chartered. Foreign means that your existing business is registered to do business in a state or jurisdiction other than where it was originally incorporated.
- You must add the business as a recipient to your mailbox account. The business name must match the one that is registered with the state.
Steps to Change Your Registered Agent
- File a new statement of information applicable to your business entity. You can find links to the forms at the end of this article.
- Under the section “Agent for Service of Process” on the form, fill in our corporate name—Virtual Post Solutions, Inc. —as the “Name of Agent for Service of Process.” DO NOT use VirtualPostMail, which is a service brand under our corporation.
- Leave the “Address for Agent for Service of Process” blank. This is only required for individual agents. (*Those using Legalzoom to register their company - you may encounter issues when leaving this section blank. When you encounter this, please use the following address: 340 S Lemon Ave, Walnut, CA 91789 )
- Mail the form to the secretary of state.
Send an email to our customer support to let us know you are using us as your registered agent, along with the company name. We will check and record this information. Make sure to perform this step. Otherwise, we will reject legal mail sent to a registered agent.
After Switching Your Registered Agent Service to VPM
Once you have formally switched to us, everything works similarly to how we process your regular mail.
- When we receive formal legal mail, including any litigation notice, we scan it online for you to view and process.
- You can either ask us to forward the mail or open and scan it. For urgent matters, you may submit a special request to forward mail using Express Mail.
Keep Your Account in Good Standing
If your mailbox is suspended or canceled, we will no longer act as your registered agent, even if we are still listed in your business records. So make sure to keep your VPM account in good standing.
Reminder: Use Our Corporate Name
Again, make sure to use our corporate name—Virtual Post Solutions, Inc.—as your registered agent. Do not list "VirtualPostMail," which is a brand. The California secretary of state will check the name against a database of certified registered agents. The state will reject your agent of service if you use the wrong name or a name that is not registered.
- California Forms, Samples, and Fees - Contains forms and fees to file your business or change business records.
- E-File Statement of Information online directly on the California Secretary of State website. No need to fill out forms in this case.
- Statement of Information for Stock Corporations, Agricultural Cooperative, and Foreign Corporations (Form SI-550) - Form used to update your Agent of Service, among other information.
- Statement of Information for Nonprofit Corporations (Form SI-100)
- Statement of Information for Domestic and Foreign LLCs (Form LLC-12)
- Amendment to Certificate of Limited Partnership for Domestic LPs (Form LP-2) - For making changes to existing LPs.
- Amendment to Application for Registration for Foreign LPs (Form LP-6) - For making changes to existing LPs.