2020-09-18 Introducing Extended Mail Storage, Expiring Mail, and Package Purging
We are excited to release a new feature you’ve been waiting for -- extended mail storage! The feature will be available on September 21, 2020. Even though we are the only mailbox provider to give you the longest free guaranteed mail and package storage of 60 days, many of you have asked for the ability to further extend the storage for certain important mail. With this new feature, you can now extend mail storage up to a maximum of 180 days for an additional fee.
How does storage extension work?
When mail is about to expire in 14 days, you will receive an email notification. Expiring mail will appear in a new "Expiring Soon" folder in your online mailbox. You will be able to extend storage.If you decide not to extend storage past the free 60 day storage period, the mail will expire. Expired mail will be moved to your “Archived” folder automatically to indicate that the physical mail is no longer available.
How much does storage extension cost? Storage extension fees are as follows:
Mail storage extension fees are as follows:
- Letters and magazines = $1.50 / mail / 30 days
- Packages = $20 / package / 30 days
What happens to my existing mail and packages?
- Any mail older than 180 days from September 21, 2020 will be expired as we no longer have the physical mail anymore.
- IMPORTANT: Expired mail will be moved to your “Archived” folder to indicate that the physical mail is no longer available.
- For all other mail that's currently in your mailbox, they will be given the maximum 180 day storage. It means that all your existing mail will have the maximum 180 day storage for free.
- Any mail that is expiring within 14 days will be given a FULL 14 days before it expires so you have sufficient time to take care of it.
What about my new mail?
For all new mail received and scanned into your mailbox on or after September 21, our normal 60 day storage guarantee applies. You will need to extend mail storage if you wish to keep the mail for longer than that.
What happens to my expired mail and packages?
When mail expires, the physical mail piece will no longer be available. You will no longer be able to scan the mail contents or forward the mail. Expired mail and packages are physically trashed. Mail is shredded on-site using a mobile shredding service (picture a large document shredder the size of a trash truck). Packages are trashed in the trash bin.
Is there any cost to purging expired mail and packages?
Purging is the process of trashing the physical item when the item expires or is trashed by you.
Mail purging does not cost extra.
For package purging, an allowance of 5 free packages per billing cycle will be given. Packages over the free allowance will be billed at $3 / package to cover the processing and disposal costs.
To give you time to decide what you’d like to do with any existing packages, the new package purging fee will not be effective until November 1, 2020.
UPDATE 2021-02-03: We have postponed the package purge until today. Starting today, we will begin the package purging billing fees.